Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It's Simple...Yet Not Always Easy

In recent weeks, I have preached about the importance of quiet time to hear the voice of God, the need to trust that God desires us to hear His Word, and the need for us to surrender daily our will and lives into God’s care and to follow His Word.

When I speak or write it, it sounds easy. Yet I know that some days it can be difficult to practice it. What do we do on the difficult days? I can share from my own experiences.

Firstly, I admit to God, to another, and to myself that it is difficult on a particular day to be silent, to listen, or to surrender. There is no sense in pretending that it is otherwise. Admitting it helps one to realize the need to ask for the grace to practice silence, listening, and surrendering. The difficulty can stem from external circumstances that grab our attention as well as internal distractions that draw us out of the present moment.

Secondly, I remind myself that it is foolish for me to put on God my timeline for Him to “fix”, resolve, or remove my difficulties before I pray. How easy it is for any one of us to forget that we are the created ones. One’s difficulties can be the very “stuff” of our prayer to discover God’s voice. It can also be a moment for us to grow deeper in trust that God knows us and will give to us all that we need for that day.

Finally, I just do it; I strive to practice silence, listening, and surrendering. For me, on the difficult days, it confronts my ego to do things perfectly. Yet this is the time when I need to trust that my human efforts are about progress. Perfection will need to wait another day.

Our life as followers of Jesus, as Christians, is a daily journey that we make together. It is true that some days appear easier than others to listen to the voice of God and to surrender our will and lives. However, what does not change is God’s willingness and desire to stand with us regardless of ease or difficulties. As Scripture reminds us we are God’s People, and He is our God.

And what a gift it is to belong to the Christian community. For it is here that we are nourished with the Bread of Life, strengthened by the witness of others, and grow closer into the image and likeness of our God.

I pray that all of us have a peaceful week of silence, listening, and surrendering.

Fr. John

No comments:

Post a Comment